Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Night shot


So it snowed last night. A lot. I decided to try to capture some whiteness and at the same time calibrate my old Sekonic 28c light meter from the 60's. It turns out that the thing is not very accurate in very low light or very bright light. Some more calibration will be needed when the light gets better, but until then I guess I will have to rely on the in-camera light meter in these tricky lighting situations...

In any case, after much trial and error, here is the product. The final exposure settings look nothing like what the light meter told me to use. At 60sec at f11 on ISO 100, this is about 5 stops out from the light meter's readings. To those of you who don't know what that means -- it means that that relatively speaking, the light meter thinks that a candle light is as bright as a 100 watt light bulb. Lots of negative space in the background too, but it's unlikely to improve anytime soon because people are getting more conscious about their lights, pollution and the rest of it. But hey, gotta save the planet right?

The thesis is still going on. Hoping to wind it up this coming weekend. Hopefully I will be able to finish my part and send it off to the supervisor, and hopefully get a couple of months of peace for some proper photography and PS3. At least before he bounces it back and tells me t0 rewrite the damn thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment