Saturday, March 6, 2010

The Woes of the Digital Age

So I haven't been online for the past week. This wonderful technology called internet has spread my computer some viral invection, from which it is slowly recovering. Windows had to be wiped out, but thankfully I had some backups of my essential media (such as photos) and documents (such as the thesis). Much of the software that I had still need to be reinstalled.

Just wondering: what kind of people would sit around and write a computer virus? Is it someone who's bored out of his minds and wanted to keep himself preoccupied? Or some geek who wanted to show off his computing skills to his equally geeky friends? Or some ill-minded opportunist who's trying to get hold of personal and confidential information? Makes me wonder. But I digress.


Anyways, this digital hiccup brings me back to the topic that I started last week. So what if I didn't have these backups and all of my photos were wiped out because of some moronic sh*tface decided to spread his love of computers? No this is not a queue for Mac users to preach me on the wonders of Apples and that they do not get viruses: because they do. You just don't find out about them. Besides, I would rather be stuck with a sick PC than to get an Mac with that famed and wonderful high res screen that's to "die for" but doesn't otherwise do anything useful. Or, what if my power supply had a bad day in the office and decides to "fume off" a bit, frying my hard drive in the process? Or what if my neighbour's cat decided to jump in my window and urinate on my computer?

Once upon a time there was this cute invention called negatives that exists in the real world in a tangible form -- not as a bunch of 0's and 1's. These guys can outlast you or I. And you get a seet of prints when you develop them. And they look good when printed.

All images on Canonet QL17 GIII and Black's processing included film.

No comments:

Post a Comment